Wednesday 31 August 2016

Bodiam Castle

When I was a young boy I had a fort with a drawbridge, portcullis and battlements in short I have a traditional boy’s view of what a medieval castle should be. When you approach this castle the first thing you notice is that there is a proper water filled moat so this gives that isolated feeling that a castle should have.  Bodiam is the nearest castle I have seen that looks like my boyhood fortress with maybe the exception of Arundel Castle in West Sussex. 









The National Trust employs these two people to bring the story of the castle to life. They are very good at telling the story in such a way that it is right for all ages, it is a mixture of history and the theatrical, a magic performance.  



The castle is in very good condition from the outside but the inside is in a semi derelict condition.



© Lionel Callow 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment